Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 2 Bible Challenge Genesis 16 - 28:19

I have many thoughts about Day 2's reading. I hope I can remember all the thoughts I have.


One thought I had was about Abraham's character. He was a foreigner in the land he lived, but when Sarah died the Hittites were willing to give Abraham him any burial plot he wanted. When he found the place, the owner wanted to give the land to Abraham. Abraham had to insist that he wanted to pay for it. Abraham was a wealthy man, so the Hittites knew that he could afford to pay for the land. But I believe that due to the character that Abraham had shown he had won favor with the Hittites.

I had many thoughts about Lot. I do not know if I can express them all in the way I was thinking.

My first thought was when Lot offered his two daughters to the angry crowd. Did he not value his daughters or did he believe the strangers where more valuable?

My next thought was about his future son-in-laws. When he went to them and said that God was going to destroy Sodom and they needed to leave with him, they did not listen. Did Lot not teach his daughters to look for someone with the same values as they had? Did he not teach his daughters that his future son-in-laws should respect him?

My final thought about Lot was when he was in the mountains with his two daughters. He must have taught his daughters about some of his beliefs, but they must have not taken it to heart. They did not trust God to carry on Lot's lineage. Instead of praying to God, they took matters into their own hands. They must have known that their father would not go along with their plan, so they got him drunk in order to carry out their plan. I wonder how he felt after he found out?

The biggest lesson for me in this is to teach my children. To make sure they know all of my beliefs and why I believe like I do. To pray that God will help me teach them and show me all I need to teach them. Then to pray that he will make them take these teachings to heart.

I know I had some other thoughts about Issac and Jacob and Esau, but now I have forgotten what they were.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Hi Emily! I too had that same thought about Lot offering his daughters to the crowd. Actually, my husband and I were talking about it today, as well as another story that is equally disturbing in Judges. It is so hard to understand...crazy!

Here were a couple of our thoughts: The way they valued women in general was not what it is today...for sure. My second thought would be that Lot thought more of angels sent by God than he did his daughters. If this is true, this would be biblical, however hard for me to comprehend.

Thanks for the thought provoking questions and thoughts! And, thanks for blogging! Now, I better stop reading blogs, and go finish today's reading:) God Bless your day tomorrow!
In Him,
Rebecca